Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Where's the Ring on the Ring-necked Duck?



Early naturalists are known for naming many birds after features not the least noticeable (to you and me) while watching them on the wing, perched in a tree, or paddling in a pond. That's because people naming birds did so with the specimens, typically dead, right in their hands for close observation. This explains why few people seldom see the rosy blush for which the Red-bellied Woodpecker is named or, in this case, the purplish-brown ring of the male Ring-necked Duck. (I don't know whether the female sports this neck ring or not . . . but since it's impossible to see, doesn't it really matter?) Much more apparent, as is shown in my photos, is their ringed bills, plainly visible in both males and females.

A few days ago, my pond was visited by a pair of female Ring-necked Ducks, shown above separately. Unlike the more striking two-toned male, mostly iridescent black with light flanks, the female is a study in buff and browns, with a deeper toned crown. She has a light face patch, white eye-rings and a white ring on her bill. Pretty enough by my standards. How about yours?

According to one of my favorite online birding sites (All About Birds), the Ring-necked Duck is . . . "The most common diving duck to be found on small ponds in migration . . . " which I suppose explains their visit to my humble pond. So, here's hoping they come again next year!

Till next time . . . Keep birds in your heart!

Georgia Anne

No comments: