Monday, April 4, 2011

Great Blue Heron



For the last week or so I've unintentionally interrupted a Great Blue Heron attempting to fish in my pond. It's happened now three times. Well, just moments ago I caught sight of him stepping every so gingerly out around my pond. Herons are very wary and I'm certain he saw me peering out at him from behind a sheer curtain in my kitchen. Tiptoeing away so as not to startle him, I grabbed my camera and returned hopefully to click a shot through the gap in said curtain.

But my heron was already on the move, pacing away from the pond, suspicious and on alert. Even so I got this blurry shot and am happy for it!

The Great Blue is the largest North American Heron and can stand as tall as 54 inches. Many times through the years I've attempted to watch a Great Blue hunt at my pond, but his patience typically outlasts mine. These birds strike a pose and hold it so long that even cautious fish forget that someone is standing over them ready to strike!

It's been raining hard here for hours, but the heron doesn't seem to mind. Here's hoping, this time, he gets his fish.

Till next time . . . Keep birds in your heart!

2 comments:

Patty G. said...

This is wonderful! I love that you actually captured a picture of this heron! You do live in a magical, natural world.

P.K. Butler said...

Thanks, Patty. Don't I know it--and give thanks every single day!