Monday, October 11, 2010

The Jackdaw: First bird to greet me in Ireland


Driving from the Shannon Airport (on the River Shannon), I noticed a range of shorebirds wading in that river's estuary. Trying to get a knack for driving on the "wrong" side of the road--not to mention the roundabouts--I didn't take the opportunity to see what waders dotted the not too distant landscape. Instead, I kept my hands gripped to the steering wheel and eyes glued to the road and its signs written in both English and Gaelic.

I didn't dare look anywhere else other than to dart appreciative glances at the lovely landscape through which I drove. Not until arriving at my first destination, the village of Kinvara in Co. Galway, did I take a deep breath and open my eyes to the surrounding sights.

Parked opposite Castle Dunguaire, a small castle known as a "tower house," I stopped to look up at the ruins of stone wall and there saw a shiny black bird with pale blue eyes looking back at me. Noting my interest, he withdrew his head farther into the hole but not so far that I couldn't catch a photo of his handsome face and pretty blue eyes.

Later in the week, when at an Irish pub, I asked a couple local men what bird in Ireland I should choose as my main bird character (for book 3) in the trilogy Of the Wing. One gentlemen was quite insistent that it be the jackdaw "because he's a good thief." I must say the quality of being a thief is an attractive one to me for my bird character. Too, I've read that jackdaws are good mimics, even of human speech, yet another intriguing characteristic.

Hmm . . . I think I'm convinced.

Until next time . . . Keep birds in your heart!

Georgia Anne

No comments: