Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Back from Ireland: First up--the Black-headed Gull


I've been away from this blog for well over two weeks--during my trip to Ireland--so it's high time I share my "catch" of birds (photographed or seen) from that Emerald Isle, beginning with the Black-headed Gull.

Despite evidence to the contrary, this is a photograph of a Black-headed Gull, though here he sports his winter plumage. Read more here:

http://www.birdguides.com/species/species.asp?sp=61039#

I took this image of said gull in Lough Leane, one of three beautiful adjoining lakes in Killarney, County Kerry. And throughout my trip (to several different counties), I saw him again and again.

Traveling to Ireland, I've added more birds to my "life list," that being a list of all the birds I've ever seen and identified. I'm also checking each "new" bird against those listed in my favorite bird web site All About Birds to learn if these are birds I might also see here in the USA. Thus, of the Black-headed Gull, I've learned the following: "A common gull of the Old World, Black-headed Gull is a rare, but regular visitor to eastern North America."

Check back soon for more photos of both birds and Ireland!

Until next time . . . Keep birds in your heart!

Georgia Anne

No comments: