Monday, October 18, 2010

Pied Wagtail


Before traveling to Ireland, I read a book called Shore Birds of Ireland (text by Jim Wilson; images by Mark Carmody), which bestowed honorary shorebird status to this garden bird who "will sometimes feed on insects on seaweed." The authors conveyed the honor rightly so, I think, because wherever water met shoreline, I found this spunky white and black bird scouting. In fact, so often did I see (and photograph) the Pied Wagtail that I found a friend in him and felt less a stranger.

Of course, the Atlantic Ocean now separates us, so I must confine my encounters to online sources like British Garden Birds--

http://www.garden-birds.co.uk/birds/piedwagtail.htm

--which describes the differences in plumage between males and females and provides various photos. From the descriptions provided I think (but am far from sure) that the "seaweed" wagtail is a female and the "water" wagtail a male. But why not check out the resource for yourself and decide what you think?

Until next time . . . Keep birds in your heart!

Georgia Anne Butler

No comments: