Monday, July 5, 2010

Hide and Seek with a Common Yellowthroat





Yellowthroats are everywhere on my property: singing from the hemlock, locust, walnut, and oak trees...flitting about in the multi-rose bushes...darting in and out of the shrubby brush by the woodland's edge. So you'd think I could get a picture of one, right?

To begin with, only the males (those cheeky fellows with the black masks and bright yellow throats and chest) have been willing to play hide and seek with me. I've not seen a single female.
(See my post from last year, 7/9/2009.)

When I'm without camera, these masked males pose tauntingly, as if waiting for a picture. But let me be properly armed . . . well, you see the results.

The photos shared here were taken on different days. When viewing my "catches" on the computer, I laughed out loud to see that small masked face peering up at me from a well of deep blue sky. Of course, perseverance pays off and I did finally capture a proper portrait. Lucky me!

Till next time . . . Keep birds in your heart!

Georgia Anne

No comments: