Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Double Downies


At the time I took this quick (and somewhat blurry) shot of two male Downy Woodpeckers, I didn't understand the purpose it would be put to.

I took several clearer photos of one individual and then the other, but when they posed together, I knew this would be the winning photo.

There is something evocative about seeing two birds, almost mirror images, for an instant aligned--especially when this was not their intent. Targeting the seed tray, each took evasive action to avoid the other, only to land side by side on the post. I wonder at their surprise, looking into the others eyes.

So to what purpose do I put this photo? Obviously it is my featured bird image of the week . . . but something more. Today I use this 100th posting to my Bird Blog, as well as its photograph, to introduce my own "double," that is, another blog.

For some weeks I've entertained the notion of beginning another public forum, one wherein I can expand my commentary to almost anything. Of course, every blogger must follow a theme, else her postings may become mere ramblings.

My theme, also the title of my new blog, is . . .

26 Years to Live

Read the first posting at

http://26yearstolive.blogspot.com/

Till next time . . .

Georgia Anne Butler
p.s. Be sure to visit--and consider following--both my blogs!

No comments: