Monday, July 12, 2010

Swallows Having a Swell Time



My property is a hangout for both Tree and Barn Swallows. Earlier this spring, I caught this photo (on the right) of a Tree Swallow up on the pasture. Notice his white chest and shiny blue-green coat. Tree Swallows like pastures and ponds, of which I have both. And they particularly like swooping over the pond to skim their bellies against the water, maybe grabbing a quick drink.

Like neighborhood kids congregating to hit the local watering hole, Tree Swallows, and their kin the Barn Swallows (on the left), have been whooping it up over my pond for a couple weeks. Sometimes they come in the afternoon (around 4:00), sometimes in the evening (around 7:00 or 8:00), and at least once I saw Tree Swallows playing at the pond in the morning. They fly in making all kinds of racket, like mice squeaking in the clutches of a cat. For me, watching them is more entertaining then renting a video.

A few evenings ago, while waiting for this evening "show," I was delighted to see the local group of Little Brown Bats (only three) join the swallows in their aerial stunts over the pond. Though unlike the swallows, the bats kept to the work at hand, catching insects. And just when I thought things couldn't get better, the lone Night Hawk, who has been making semi-regulars appearances, sailed overhead. (I posted about the bats and this lone Night Hawk just a few weeks ago on June 25.)

What a spectacular way to enjoy the evening!

Till next time . . . Keep birds in your heart!

Georgia Anne

No comments: