Friday, June 25, 2010

Three Bats and a Lone Nighthawk


Two consecutive evenings this week, I sat outside waiting for dusk to descend and Little Brown Bats to take to air. I'm sure most of you have heard of the horrendus fungus--White-nose Syndrome--which is decimating our bat population. The name derives from a white fungus that grows around a bat's nose and face during its winter hibernation in caves. The outbreak began in New York state (2007) and has since spread to nine others. In that time millions of hibernating bats have died.

Sadly, the evening sky over my home no longer holds dozens of bats foraging for insects. In fact, I take heart to see even a few . . . those individuals lucky enough to have survived--at least one more winter--without contamination.

While pondering this, I was surprised (and thoroughly pleased) to see a lone Common Nighthawk, diving and swooping with the bats to feed on moth, mosquito, or other flying insect. (Public Domain drawing by Federal Government.)

Late summer last year (9/14) I posted on an entire battalion of migrating Common Nighthawks, an experience I won't soon forget. So to see this lone individual, keeping company with a few bats, seemed somehow poignant, especially when I read of the nighthawks' population decline (as explained and experienced by the Urban Birder, David Lindo).

In these days it seems we can take nothing for granted. Certainly not Little Brown Bats or Common Nighthawks. To help them and all species under duress, we must first recognize the problem.

In just a bit I'll be heading outside to see if these unlikely companions make a third showing this week. Here's hoping!

Till next time . . . Keep birds--and bats--in your heart!

Georgia Anne Butler

No comments: