Sunday, December 6, 2009

A Day of Birds


Rather than profiling a particular bird for this week's post, I'll offer instead a glimpse of some of the birds I saw today, beginning with three Wild Turkeys. (Photo by Steve Maslowski for Public Domain.)

My early morning stroll with the dogs startled a doe, hiding within a cluster of young bushy pines. Seconds later three Wild Turkeys, glistening black against the snow-dusted ground, sprightly crossed the spring-fed creek. I might add they did so with decorum and in single file.

Writing throughout the morning, I kept tabs on an ongoing competition for a scattering of black-oil sunflower seeds between a rowdy gang of Blue Jays and a timid assembly of Juncos. Though the Blue Jays held sway, the Juncos did periodically sneak through their lines to score a few seeds.

I should also mention the silent vigil of House Finches not far away that watched the contest from the top of a walnut tree.

In the afternoon, when dropping off recyclables at a community collection site, I watched as a large flock of roosting starlings flew upward and through the slow-moving blades of a wind power generator! Luckily none were hit. (Coincidentally, I recently heard a lecture on this topic--the mortality rates of bats and birds colliding with wind power generators.)

Driving to and from the large metal recycle bins, I had to slow the car for a small band of crows insistent on claiming the asphalt. I assume they were pecking at gravel.

I guess I'll close this selective listing with the pair (or pairs) of Northern Cardinals that on any given day are typically last to leave the bird feeder. As the day fades fast away and all the other birds have gone, I'll see them taking advantage of a hassle-free, late-evening meal.

Till next time . . . Keep birds in your heart!

Georgia Anne

No comments: