Sunday, December 13, 2009

Starlings Eating Berries



Yesterday afternoon, outside my living room window, I watched a few European Starlings gobble down the orange-red berries of a Burning Bush (Euonymus alata). The day was bitter cold, so I was repeatedly outside filling the seed feeders in my yard. But seeing these starlings eating berries reminded me that, while feeders are nice, birds depend on the foods of their habitat--fruits, berries, seeds, grains, and insects--to survive.

Most of the shrubs and trees on my property are those planted by former owners, a couple who lived here for 50 years. And I have them to thank for this beautiful Burning Bush (though I read that it's considered an "invasive"). Still, I'm sure that the starlings (also an invasive species) don't mind. (For more info on starlings see my post from earlier this year, 1/10/09).

Some years ago I added a few Holly Bushes, and this spring plan on including some Mulberry Trees, a real favorite of birds I'm told. While my property provides some fruit-bearing bushes (elderberry, blueberry, raspberry), these are summer treats for the birds--and me. But what I need to plant are shrubs and trees that provide food for birds during the winter months.

I'm glad it's never too late to learn.

Till next time . . . Keep birds in your heart!

Georgia Anne

No comments: