Sunday, November 29, 2009

Ring-necked Duck


I’m going to cheat this week and profile a bird I saw two weeks ago, during a hike around Canoe Lake. In fact my last posting, of the Ruddy Duck, was taken from that trip. So let’s look at yet another black and white diving duck. (See postings for November 16, Hooded Merganser, and 22, Ruddy Duck.)

Though called the “Ring-necked” Duck, this diver can be identified by the white ring near the end of a bluish bill. Apparently, if close enough, you can see a chestnut ring about the male’s neck, though I think such opportunities are rare. As seen in this U.S. Fish & Wildlife photo, the male Ring-necked Duck, when breeding, has a black head, back, and breast, with grayish sides. During non-breeding months, the male's gray sides are more buff and he has no white "spur" (the raised area between breast and sides). Also, the Ring-necked Duck has a peaked head. Wintering in the South and West, this duck prefers small wooded ponds, where it eats snails and aquatic plants.

I've seen a few Ring-necked Ducks on a pond by my friend's farm but have not enjoyed their company on my pond. I did, however, have a pair of Mallards visit briefly this morning. They glided across the misty surface as Sammy, my English Sheepdog mix, gulped water from the bank. It was quite a pretty scene . . .

Till next time . . . Keep birds in your heart!

Georgia Anne

No comments: