Sunday, February 14, 2010

A Red-shouldered Hawk


I wish the brief visit by a Red-shouldered Hawk to my white birch tree had happened a couple days later than it did. He arrived on Wednesday (Feb 10) but the Great Backyard Bird Count didn't begin until Friday. Thus I can't count him. But I can share the sighting here with you (Public Domain image of juvenile Red-shouldered Hawk courtesy of NBII).

It was the afternoon, when I typically read a bit by the window in my bedroom upstairs. Here I have a closeup view of my "regulars" arrayed throughout the branches of the white birch. Periodically I glance from my reading to see what if anything interesting is happening among the chickadees, juncos, titmice, blue jays, woodpeckers, and others perched or flitting through the branches of this major "hot spot" for the resident community. You see, it's one of a few trees that provide patient birds a perching place while awaiting their opportunity at the seed table or suet bar.

On this occasion, I noticed that with the swift arrival of a flock of starlings, my regulars had quickly vacated these branches. I watching these glossy black birds with iridescent colors (purple and green) and white spots for a short diversion and then continued with my book.

A few moments later I looked out again to find something truly interesting--a large, stocky hawk, most definitely a buteo (buzzard hawk). All the starlings had flown (most quietly because I hadn't noticed their departure).

I grabbed for my bedside binoculars (kept there for especially such occasions) and studied the hawk who sat quietly as if for my benefit. His tail was long and banded (black and white), his back was a mottled brown, and his chest was a bright burnish orange. First thought:
a Red-shouldered Hawk!

This hawk looked very much like a Red-tailed Hawk but didn't have a red tail but a black and white tail. The final evidence I needed for the identification came when said hawk flew out from the naked branches of the birch and toward the small stand of old hemlocks less than a hundred feet away. Then I saw the glow of red from his shoulders.

How exciting! I'd never seen a Red-shouldered Hawk on my property before let alone outside my bedroom window. What a wonderful treat. (I have seen and heard one flying over my property, however--see my post of 3/25/09.)

As to the Great Backyard Bird Count, you'd be surprised how similar my first day's count was to my "practice" count below (earlier post). Add a half dozen house finches and a couple downy woodpeckers and you've got my first day's count!

Here's hoping you're participating in the GBBC. If not there's still time. Follow the link in my last posting.

Till later . . . Keep Birds in Your Heart!

Georgia Ann

No comments: