Sunday, February 28, 2010

Black-capped Chickadees in the Snow


Black-capped Chickadees are my favorite year-round bird. These plump little beauties are especially endearing because to me they seem the most "tame" of the wild backyard birds. Thus, they're a bit more trusting and a bit more inquisitive than other birds of their type (Passerine or "perching" birds). (Photo courtesy of Charles H. Warren.)

Yesterday a small group of chickadees gathered above me in the white birch tree when I went outside to scatter more black-oil sunflower seeds over the snow-covered ground. They hopped from branch to branch, impatiently awaiting the seed delivery and somewhat annoyed by my delay. I was too busy filming them. Hope you enjoy the brief video below.



Till next time . . . Keep birds in your heart.

Georgia Anne Butler

1 comment:

Clare said...

My son and I feel the same way. While we're restocking our feeder, or re-hanging our suet blocks, the chickadee's always seem to be waiting, and the first ones to check out the new supply.