Monday, November 9, 2009

One Year Ago Today . . .


On November 9, 2008, I began this blog. One year has past and so today I write this entry conscious of that beginning.

This morning I walked about my property with the dogs, mindful of the birds filling the fall morning with music. Most conspicuous were the Blue Jays, flying and calling through the hillside grove of cherry trees beside my house. More distantly I could hear American Crows in the woods, while nearby Dark-eyed Juncos (returning to spend the winter) flushed from bushes, their white-trimmed tails flashing. A Pileated Woodpecker, often a soloist, provided dramatic flair with his shrill kuk-kuk-kuk call.

With binoculars in hand, I scoured the leafless trees, scouting for the bird I would profile this day. That's when I saw a White-throated Sparrow perched in a sapling maple at the woodland's edge. Like the junco, this sparrow is also a winter visitor, and being he was the first I've seen this season, I selected him (photo courtesy of Ken Thomas).

Seeing this single White-throated Sparrow (and the returning juncos who faithfully visit my feeder throughout winter) reminded me that each season brings its own joys. So I look forward to my winter visitors and to sharing my experiences of them with you.

Until next time . . . Keep birds in your heart!

Georgia Anne

No comments: