Monday, November 16, 2009

A Hooded Merganser Stays the Day


Last Tuesday I awoke to the happy surprise of a Hooded Merganser enjoying a rest stop on my pond. As the photo clearly shows, this is one beautiful duck! (Public Domain photo by Tim McCabe.)

A member of the family Anatidae (ducks, geese, and swans), the Hooded Merganser is a “diving” duck as opposed to a “dabbler.” For example, divers may disappear under water for many seconds seeking a fish, only to pop up again some distance away. Dabblers, on the other hand, are surface feeders who tip forward or “upend” to feed on aquatic plants, animals, and insects. (See my 10/28/09 post.)

Typically I see mergansers in the spring when they’re migrating north from their wintering grounds in the southern states. And usually I see them as mere specks from some far distant lakeshore. But not last Tuesday.For the entire day, I needed only glance out a window or stroll out my back door to see this most beautiful male preening, diving, or sleeping on the pond. Though tolerating my presence, he kept against the opposite bank whenever I casually strolled by. Even my sheepdog Sammy, who periodically went on a barking binge, did not rattle him. And once when looking out an upstairs window, I saw my calico cat, Gwendolyn, stalking the proud merganser.

No fear! Cats don’t like water and that duck kept a good distance from the bank. Seeing them together, as if posed for my benefit, I couldn’t help but note that they both possessed the same beautiful coloration—white, black, and a rusty brown.

Well the Hooded Merganser stayed the long day, until dark at least.When the dogs and cat and I were tucked inside for the evening, perhaps the solitary bird took flight to continue his trip south. Or maybe he spent the night. I don’t know but in the morning he was gone. Still I won't soon forget him or his visit.

Till next time . . . Keep birds in your heart!
Georgia Anne

No comments: