Friday, December 26, 2008

Two Bald Eagles


On Sunday (Dec 21), I was traveling home after a visit with my sister in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. A bright, sunny day provided perfect conditions for the leisurely three-hour trip. A few miles outside Huntingdon (driving West on Rt. 22) with a long stretch of highway ahead, I noticed two large birds circling high in the afternoon sky. I might have passed the observation off as turkey vultures but then . . . did I see I a white tail? I didn’t need more incentive. I pulled the car off the road, grabbed the binoculars always kept on the front seat, and jumped outside to confirm my hunch: Yes, white tails and white heads! There could be no doubt. Circling high above me, on a windy afternoon, were two majestic Bald Eagles!

The beautiful day had just become remarkable.

So keep your eyes open. On any day, our avian neighbors are out and about attending to their business, just like you and me. You need only to look to see them. (Image courtesy of the Digital Library System of the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service.)

Happy birding!

Georgia Anne

No comments: