Sunday, November 9, 2008

Hello readers!

On this overcast November day, I'm happy to begin what I hope will be a lively posting site for birdwatchers everywhere. As I write this greeting, I watch through my kitchen window the many birds visiting my feeder filled with black-oil sunflower seeds.

Do you know what birds I see? I'll tell you.

Let's begin with the jaunty Black-capped Chickadee. This little bird is one of my favorite year-round visitors to the feeder. Each morning these chatty birds await the refilling of the feeder with a loud chorus of "chick-a-dee-dee-dee."

Also here today, I see many Tufted Titmice. These small, soft gray birds have a tufted crest and round black eyes, which are so big they remind me of buttons. And while the chickadees are calling "chick-a-dee-dee-dee," I'll hear a chorus of "peter, peter, peter," from the titmice. (Look for a reference to the Tufted Titmouse in chapter 1 of The Legend Awakes.)

Another daily visitor is the White-breasted Nuthatch. This little bird is distinctly different from the other two in its behavior at the feeder. For instance, while the other two fly directly to the feeder's edge to snatch their seeds and fly away again, the nuthatch usually climbs about the post, circling it up and down before hopping to takes his seed and fly away.

Finally, I'll end today's list of visitors with the Dark-eyed Junco. This bird is a bit larger than the others and the male and female are slightly different in their coloring. In fact, male and female birds do typically vary in the color of their plumage, though not so for the chickadee and titmouse. However, the male junco is darker gray than the female, who seems more brownish-gray to me. But both have full white bellies, with white outer tail feathers that give them a very distinguished look. Juncos prefer to take their seeds directly from the ground.

Well, let's add a dash a color before I close since the bright red male Northern Cardinal just made an appearance. (Read about a special Cardinal in chapter 2 of The Legend Awakes.)

Can anyone reading this blog describe for us the appearance of the female Cardinal?

I'll end with that question and here's hoping you have a good birding day!

Georgia Anne

No comments: