Saturday, January 1, 2022

Belted Kingfisher: Punk Rocker of Birds

I have a confession. (What a way to start the New Year!). I am reporting today, January 1,


2022, on a bird that I spotted on 12/10/2021 (three weeks ago). Also, the images presented here were taken of a kingfisher that I photographed more than ten years ago. What can I say? That I’m a procrastinator? True. Maybe I can work on that in 2022. That I’m not a photographer. True. I’m more a dog walker than a photographer. I sometimes carry a camera but seldom catch the image of a fast-moving bird and this kingfisher was fast as he/she flew from the bank of the pond to a bush. By the way, I did get the bush—ha!

 

But enough of me. What about this Belted Kingfisher?

 


Even though I couldn’t get a good look, I knew the bird by his/her vocalizations, to my ear, a clicking rattle sound reminiscent of an antique tin rattler (look it up on Google). But louder, much louder, which is part of the rationale for my heading: “Punk Rocker of Birds.” You can say that a kingfisher makes a lot of racket. (Please forgive me, punk rock fans). The other rational for my “punk” label is this bird’s “rad” crest (am I using this adjective correctly?).

 

The admittedly dark photographs
are of a male (who has a blue-gray breast band) while the female has both a blue-gray breast band AND a chestnut belly band. You can see good images at allaboutbirds . . . and while you’re there, check out the audio to see if my interpretation rings true.

 

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Belted_Kingfisher/id

 

If you take the time to review all the information provided, you’ll find more than one interesting fact, but here are two in case you’re too lazy to bother. Belted Kingfishers catch fish by diving headfirst into the water and grabbing their prey with that super big bill. Another use for his bill is to help prod the ground that he burrows out with his front claws to create an underground nest, usually within the bank above a pond or creek. But you can get all the details at the link above. 

 

Here’s wishing you all a Happy New Year in 2022!

 

Until next time . . . Keep birds in your heart.

No comments: