Sunday, August 6, 2023

A Long Wait for the Great Egret


The last time I saw a Great Egret on Marsh Creek was in October of 2021. Since then, I've been waiting to see one. Well, finally, one week ago I did though this egret took flight and I had no camera. (On a prior outing, I lost my footing in the creek and got a good soaking along with my binoculars and camera. I still need to buy a new camera). The photo provided here is one I took in 2021, also on Marsh Creek.  (See additional photos in my post of  August 1, 2021.)

Based on my sightings in 2021, my sense is that these egrets are/were breeding here despite the fact that the Pennsylvania Society of Ornithology's range map doesn't include Adams County as one in which the Great Egret breeds but rather migrates through. That said, three counties directly north of Adams are indicated as breeding locations as well as several due west of York County, our neighboring county to the west.  For this reason, I suspect that egrets are breeding here, too. And isn't that a nice thought?

Of course, by the end of October, the egrets will have flown south to their wintering grounds, but while they're here, I hope to enjoy their company.  And today seems as good as any to seek one or more out! 

Till next time . . . Keep birds in your heart!






No comments: