Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Second Chance with Rose-breasted Grosbeaks

From my kitchen door,  I saw a conspicuous large black and white bird, too big to be a downy woodpecker. I grabbed a nearby pair of binoculars. What a wonderful surprise to see not one but two--a male and female and likely mated--rose-breasted grosbeaks chowing down on black oil sunflowers at my tray feeder! With the hope of capturing their photo for eBird, I rushed around the house searching for my camera, which was not easily located. When finally I found it, the birds had flown.

The next morning who should I see at the tray feeder but the female rose-breasted grosbeak who, of course, is not graced with the colors of her species name. Even so, her broad stripes and sturdy beak make for an easy identification.  This conspicuous beak is reminiscent of a northern cardinal's, which makes sense since the grosbeak belongs to the family CARDINALIDAE.  The family relationship becomes a bit easier to recognize in the bold red "bib of the male.

While the web site of for the Pennsylvania Society of Ornithology identifies the rose-breasted Grosbeak as a "fairly common" migrant and breeder throughout Pennsylvania, I find occasions to see them much less common and am always delighted when I do. 

Check out more information about this attractive bird at 
https://pabirds.org/index.php/birding/birds-of-pa -- a truly wonderful resource.

Until next time -- Keep birds in your heart.

Georgia



No comments: