Thursday, March 28, 2013

Starling Street Fight

Today, while paused in my car at a red light, I saw two rough and tumble starlings wrestling on the sidewalk.   One was on his back, feet jabbing the chest of his attacker, who struggled to peck his abdomen. 

At first glance, I thought the scene was one of aid: a stricken bird flailing upon the concrete, his comrade frantic to assist but unsure how. As no one was behind me, I put the car in reverse, intending to better assess the situation. That's when I saw the reality.  That's also what triggered the two starlings to cease and desist--but for only an instant. No sooner had the pinned bird found his wings than his attacker followed in fierce flight. (Photo, of course, is not one of the "street" starling but one I took last year in my backyard. See my post: A Starling Story"  1/26/2012).

I suspect it was a territorial argument.  Aren't most street fights?

Until next time . . . Keep birds in your heart--even the scrappy street fighters.

Georgia Anne

 


No comments: