Sunday, November 11, 2012

Who's Making That Crappy Call?




Whenever I  exchange calls with a Barred Owl, I wonder what he must think of my limited vocalizations.  Does he or she know that mine is a human's  pathetic attempt at imitation?  Or does he believe that somewhere in his woods, another Barred Owl (a slow-witted juvenile) must be calling for the first time? Whatever explanation could there be?

(I've embedded an incredible YouTube video of a Barred Owl vocalizing, up close.)

Moments ago I got back from a three-way conversation with two Barred Owls.  I heard one calling in the distance and so responded, just to be polite.  After all, you wouldn't barge into someone's house without first knocking on the door. Instantly the owl responded . . . and then I . . . and then the owl again. 

Must admit, I've heard stronger and more impressive vocalizations from other owls. In fact, I could hear no gargle (vibrato) ending his or her calls.   Then another Barred joined the conversation, in the opposite direction, so that I was somewhere in the middle. The new comer did possess an impressive call, with a strong ending gargle, and we both acknowledged his presence.  I even attempted a gargle, though I suspect they felt embarrassed for me.

Well after a few rounds of calls, I set a trail homeward through the woods with my dog Bridget. We hadn't gone far when a Barred Owl, high up in a White Pine, took flight at our approach.  Apparently, he or she had come in closer to check us out.  Here's looking forward to our next visit.

Until next time . . . Keep birds in your heart!

Georgia Anne


No comments: