Friday, June 15, 2012

Feathered Friday: the Eastern Phoebe



This week let's meet a member in the family of flycatchers:  Tyrannidae.  

Flycatchers, like the Eastern Phoebe, are so named because they catch insects "on the wing."  I watch one every evening from my  back porch.  In fact, I'm watching him right now!  

My spring and summertime guest uses as his perch a perfect L-shaped branch that hangs below (and at the farthermost edge)  a mighty limb in a Black Locust. From here the phoebe swoops out over the yard, executing all kinds of aerial stunts to catch his insect of choice. And then to his perch he returns.  In fact, his (or her) routine is so predicable, I know the time of the day to find him.  Right now.

I've taken his photo but the distance is too great (for my camera) to reveal anything but a small grayish bird.  If you want a proper introduction to the Eastern Phoebe, enjoy the YouTube video. 


And until next time . . . Keep birds in your heart!


Georgia Anne


No comments: