Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Killdeer and Kestrels


Down the road (a busy one) from where I live are huge pastures and farm fields. In fact they're everywhere around here but not on my small patch of property or even adjacent to it. Thus each day I put a leash on my black lab Bridget and we head out to one for some free roaming and running time.

Our favorite pasture (look for an upcoming post about it on my other blog, 26 Years to Live) has a pond, formed to collect run-off from the fields. The shallow pond and surrounding mud flats attract local killdeer (pictured here), and spanning telephone lines collect all manner of bird, of late most notably--American Kestrels. (Sorry; no photo this time but maybe next.)

Seems like each time we visit, I see a kestrel perched on the telephone line. But not for long as our approach always prompts a departure. Recently however I did get to see one hovering above the pasture before diving straight into the high green grass. Whether this colorful bird of prey caught something, I couldn't see (too far off).

About a week ago I was especially surprised to find not one kestrel but six, all perched side by side along the telephone wire. At the time I thought this odd because I didn't know what another birder later explained to me: "In the winter it's not unusual to see numerous kestrels in the same area if the area is prime hunting grounds. They're more communal on the wintering grounds as opposed to breeding territory."

So another lesson learned (and thanks for the tip, Deuane!)

Until next time . . . Keep birds in your heart.

Georgia Anne

No comments: