Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Greeting Gettysburg Birds: White-throated Sparrow



As I mentioned earlier today, I took a couple photos outside my kitchen door of a White-throated Sparrow. I've profiled this bird twice since the start of my Bird Blog (back in November of 2008), but in those earlier posts I used public domain photos taken by professional photographers. Here now are two of my own non-professional images, though for a clearer image, I encourage you to take a quick peek at my post of November 8, 2009.

The White-throated Sparrow is easy to identify with his yellow lores (area between the eye and upper bill) and striped head, and his white throat contrasts sharply with his gray chest and belly. But when physical characteristics are not easily discerned (as in these photos), you can always identify the White-throat by his distinctive, lovely song. Some characterize his plaintive song with the words Old Sam Peabody while others prefer My Sweet Canada . . . given that this sparrow migrates north to breed in Canada.

Why not decide for yourself what this sparrow's song sounds like? Watch and listen to a YouTube video by Lang Elliot and Bob McGuire. You'll be glad you did!

http://youtu.be/sL_YJC1SjHE

Until next time . . . Keep birds in your heart.

Georgia Anne

No comments: