Saturday, October 1, 2011

Remembering Ireland



At this time last year I was packing for my return trip to home, after a two-week stay in Ireland. I went to the Emerald Isle to seek ancestral roots (in County Limerick) and a setting for the third book in my trilogy Of the Wing. Happily I found both.

During my wonderful but brief tour of County Kerry (in the southwest), I visited the incredibly beautiful Lakes of Killarney and took a tour of Castle Ross. And directly after the tour, on the shore of the largest of the three lakes, Lough Leane, I had the good fortune to witness this perfect tableau: a Hooded Crow with his companions, a few Mallards.

Something about this image delights me, though I can't say exactly what. Perhaps it's that the crow is keeping company with ducks, or maybe it's their shared interest, looking out over the water. Whether their camaraderie is real or imagined, it makes me smile.

Until next time . . . Keep birds in your heart!

Georgia Anne

No comments: