Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Ovenbird



Over the years, while walking my dogs through the woods, I've often heard the emphatic song of the Ovenbird, a warbler that looks something like his woodland neighbors the thrushes (Hermit, Wood, Veery, etc).

The Ovenbird seems to screech, in rising volume, TEACHER, TEACHER, TEACHER! Though as often as I heard him, I seldom caught sight of this small olive brown bird who spends much of his time searching for insects on the woodland floor. And never have I seen him or her on my property, though its western boundary is bordered by woodland.

So you can imagine my surprise when I not only saw but also had the opportunity to photograph an Ovenbird on two consecutive days--from with my own backyard! In the top photo, you can clearly see his/her pink legs and even the black stripes that line either side of an orange patch on his head.

Just goes to show--if you're patient, there's no telling what bird you might see, or hear, on any given day.

Till next time . . . Keep birds in your heart!

Georgia Anne

No comments: