Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Uncommon Yellowthroat


Let's set the record straight: there's nothing "common" about the Common Yellowthroat. While I know this adjective is meant to describe the masked warbler's population and distribution, I object, even so, to its association with such a delightful bird.

Not only is the male a striking study (the female is olive green on top with a yellow throat), but his song is also distinctive--one you can't fail to identify: "wich-i-ty, wich-i-ty, wich-i-ty" . . . is how it's typically described. Yet to my ears this fellow is saying, The witch is here! The witch is here! The witch is here! Granted, I don't think of myself as a witch, but I like the attention.

So until next time . . . keep birds in your heart. And see if you can't spot or hear an Uncommon Yellowthroat in your yard before they migrate south (to Central America) for the winter.

No comments: