Saturday, July 30, 2011

Scarlet Tanager


In this image (shot through my living room window), the Scarlet Tanager looks more ethereal than flesh. Seconds earlier I had spotted him perched atop my empty seed tray (below).

The persistent visits by a Black Bear to my feeder necessitated that I stop feeding the birds, which disturbs me to no end. If you want to see photos of the bear, check out my other blog, 26 Years to Live the July 20th post.

But back to the tanager . . . Seeing this secretive, woodland bird visit my empty feeder was simply too much. Against all better judgment, I quickly filled the tray. And, of course, the black bear returned that night for another visit. Despite this slip, I am weaning myself of the compulsive habit to fill the tray when empty. I'm sure the birds aren't happy but then neither am I. Then again, I'll soon be moving from this home and property of 17 years, and who knows if the next owner will be a bird lover like me? If not. then I'm merely preparing them for a coming reality. But I take solace in the knowledge that the neighborhood birds of my next home will soon know the bounty of an endless supply of black oil sunflower seeds.

Until next time . . . Keep birds in your heart!

Georgia Anne

No comments: