Sunday, May 15, 2011

Hello again, Eastern Kingbird!


Since beginning this blog well over two years ago, I've posted four times on the Eastern Kingbird (6/29/09; 5/13/10; 5/20/10; 7/25/10) and, as this is my public "birding journal," you can expect to see many more.

One of the joys of birding is getting to know, over the years, your avian neighbors. Each time I post on the Eastern Kingbird, I try to add some new fact or personal observation of his or her behavior. This time I'll add that the kingbird likes to return to his same perch atop tree or bush after flying out for an insect, a behavior I've observed.

Last week on the pasture above my house, I again saw my friend returned from his winter's stay along the Amazon to spend his spring and summer here in central Pennsylvania. It's incredible to think about.

This Eastern Kingbird, perched atop a pear tree, didn't exactly cooperate for his first photo shoot of the season, but maybe next time. Until then . . . keep birds in your heart!

Georgia Anne

No comments: