Tuesday, November 2, 2010

About that Oystercatcher . . .



Before leaving for Ireland, I posted on my birding expectations for the trip:

"I'm eager to see such Irish birds as the Oystercatcher, the Lapwing, and, of course, the Curlew!" (September 18, 2010)

Home already a month, I've yet to report on whether I saw any or all of the three birds mentioned. So let's start now, beginning with the Oystercatcher.

In that prior post, I shared a US Fish and Wildlife image of an American Oystercatcher (Haematopus palliatus). See the beautifully crisp, up close image? Now see my distant, blurry photo of a black and white bird on a grassy mound in the Shannon River. And answer me this: Is it an Oystercatcher? (Haematopus ostralegus, a European cousin)

I don't know.

Both birds have a "tab" of white in the shoulder area. And the position of his head (turned left and downward) would explain why you can't see a long orange bill. Still . . . I don't know.

If you have a view and want to share it, please post away. Meanwhile I'll share my photo on an Irish listserv, though it's not a birding listserv. And I'll be sure to let you know what I find out.

Now, on to the Lapwing (Vanellus vanellus). Here's a bird I should most definitely have seen--but didn't. You might well ask, "Why not?" And I'd have to confess that pursuits other than birding (sightseeing, Castle-touring, visiting my ancestor's homestead, seeking my book's setting) competed for my attention. Still, there's always the next time, right? Besides, you can learn a bit about the Lapwing right here and right now:

http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/Default.aspx?tabid=319

Finally, what of the Curlew? Did I see or photograph this unusual bird? To find out, check back next week!

Till then . . . Keep birds in your heart!

Georgia Anne

No comments: