Sunday, July 25, 2010

Eastern Kingbirds



The Eastern Kingbird is a large, dark gray flycatcher with a white throat, chest, and belly. And let's not forget the trim of white on his noble tail. But for all his kingly appearance, the kingbird has a tiny voice. The Cornell Lab of Ornithology defines his song as a "series of high-pitched sputtering notes," which sounds something like "Ti-t-t-t-ti-zeer."

You can hear his song at Cornell's web site All About Birds

Enjoying the early evening the other day, I heard many kingbirds singing (a rolling boil of tittering sounds) as they flitted among the tree tops. With my camera I caught these birds perched momentarily atop a towering Norway Spruce growing behind the pond. A moment later, two birds dove down to skim their feet over the water. Now I wish I had gotten a photo of that!

Till next time . . . Keep birds in your heart!

Georgia Anne

No comments: