Thursday, May 13, 2010

Tyrannus tyrannus: Eastern Kingbird


I seldom use a bird's Latin (or scientific) name when posting but I could hardly help myself with the Eastern Kingbird. Who, for instance, could forget Tyrannus tyrannus? Makes me think of Tyrannosaurus rex, which, when you recall that birds are descendants of dinosaurs, isn't such an odd association.

So why do I write about Tyrannus tyrannus (genus name first; species name second) a large, distinguished-looking gray and white flycatcher? Mainly because I've discovered a pair who appear to be nesting on my property.

For the last several mornings, the dogs, cat, and I have intercepted two of these handsome birds (notice the black trim on the tail (photo courtesy of Charles H. Warren) during our morning stroll around the fenced area of my property. Oddly enough, each morning, I've seen both birds in about the same location, which makes me suspect a nest somewhere on the tree-covered hillside leading up to a large pasture.

Though Eastern Flycatchers are common enough (population-wise . . . no bird is "common"), I haven't noticed them on my property before and so am feeling quite privileged for their company now.

As their name indicates, Eastern Flycatchers eat insects during the summer but while wintering in the Amazon prefer fruit. In a quick visit to the birding resource web site All About Birds, I also learned that the flycatchers are quite aggressive about defending their territory. Maybe they have more in common with Tyrannosaurus rex than I though? Ha!

Perhaps one morning I'll leave the dogs behind and try to sneak up on my visiting pair of kingbirds. We'll see.

Till then . . . Keep birds in your heart!

Georgia Anne

No comments: