Monday, May 24, 2010

Indigo Bunting & Chipping Sparrow


Moments ago, I sat outside with my camera waiting to capture photos of birds visiting for the evening meal at the seed tray (black-oil sunflower). As always my presence was not welcomed, only tolerated. It didn't take long, however, for a few brave souls to risk the situation, in particular, a few Purple Finches. (I'll write about these for another post.)

I caught a few photos of the finches when I noticed the starkly blue Indigo Bunting fly in to the ornamental dogwood behind the feeder. As the Indigo is such a brilliant blue, I didn't look hard or long to snap a quick photo (see my earlier posts on the Indigo--June 9, 2009, and again, for an audio of his song, on July 3, 2009).

When viewing these images through my computer's browser window, imagine my surprise when I discovered not only had I an image of the visiting bunting but also that of a handsome Chipping Sparrow. (Did I mention I need glasses? Ha!)

Life is full of such pleasant surprises.

Till next time . . . keep birds in your heart!

Georgia Anne Butler

2 comments:

Patty G. said...

Great post and picture! Looking forward to more.

GorDon7 said...

We do not have any birds around here (Oregon) like the indigo bunting. But just got back from vacation in Minnesota where they do have these birds and let me tell you...they are the most beautiful blue I have ever see. Thank you for the great info and here is another article I found with good info: http://www.improveyourhomeandgarden.com/the-indigo-bunting-the-smallest-sparrow-warbler