Friday, April 2, 2010

Starlings to Stay at the Purple Martin Hotel



Sounds something like a celebrity tabloid title, doesn't it? Ha! The idea for this title grabbed me the moment I saw a half dozen shiny black Starlings, their primary feathers casting an iridescent green sheen, popping in and out of the several "rooms" of a lopsided Purple Martin Hotel. (See my earlier posting on the European Starling: Jan 10, 2009 & Dec 13, 2009.)

Yesterday I was visiting a friend and neighbor (about two miles away) and from her side porch we watched these birds investigate the accommodations. I said "You've got birds in the Purple Martin house," and she said, "I've got birds in that house all year round." Ironically, the birds flocking to this motel are not Purple Martins.

At the time, I thought the scene would make for a great picture but, of course, didn't have my camera. (Did I mention I'm trying to learn photography?) So just an hour ago, I rushed over to my friend Christine's, with camera ready, hoping to catch these birds at home. And you can probably guess . . . the starlings didn't wish to cooperate. Most were watching me from somewhat distant trees, but I did catch one fellow off guard, long enough to catch this overly dark image.

I did manage a better shot of a Red-winged Blackbird; they were everywhere singing "Conk-la-ree, Conk-la-ree!" But more on them another day.

Till next time . . . Keep birds in your heart!

Georgia Anne

No comments: