Friday, January 1, 2010

A New Year and Old Friends

Happy New Year 2010!



To begin this first day of 2010, I briefly considered revisiting one of my favorite posts (bird encounters) from last year. But of course I quickly realized there's no possible way to pick my favorite bird or encounter. Each bird is different and therefore special. Then I considered writing on a bird (or birds) I encountered this year but never posted on. Immediate candidates jumped to mind from my April trip to Arkansas--Great and Snowy Egrets. But that idea didn't set right with me either. This blog is meant to reflect my current encounters so that others (in my region of the country) can look for the same birds outside their windows or in their yards.

No. Rather than look behind, I decided to look at the present. And this day, like many before it, at my bird feeders, I've been watching juncos, blue jays, cardinals, titmice, black-capped chickadees, starlings, nuthatches, a few stray wintering goldfinch, house finches, downy and red-bellied woodpeckers, mourning doves, and crows (in the early morning). Some others as well but not with the daily attendance of those listed.

I did notice that my post for New Year's Day 2009 was of the Dark-eyed Junco. And that's only appropriate as the junco is a "snow bird." So, how much more appropriate this year to treat you to a short video of several juncos, being very vocal, during a brief snow shower this afternoon. You'll also see a few of my other friends, including a goldfinch, chickadee, and a blue jay.

Here's wishing your new year is filled with birds and birdsong!

Till next time . . . Keep birds in your heart!

Georgia Anne

No comments: