Friday, October 16, 2009

Three House Sparrows in a Parking Lot




Last week, I went to a local shopping mall and when exiting my car saw three male House Sparrows fighting over crumbs left behind by some other motorist on the parking lot. Only a few car lengths away, they jostled for position, hopping in and out to pick at the stray morsels, quarreling loudly over whose turn it was. My close proximity didn’t bother them a bit.

You’ve heard of city folk and country folk? Well when applied to birds, House Sparrows fall more into the city (and town) category, being a bird that likes man-made structure for nesting. Next time you go to a fast food restaurant, pay attention with your eyes and ears. These sparrows are quite noisy and, though seedeaters, have an appetite for junk food. You might find one hopping to scavenge a dropped French fry or piece of bread. French fries are certainly not good for birds, so I don’t advise feeding these eager little sparrows your leftovers. Besides, they appear to be resourceful enough on their own.

House Sparrows are cavity nesters and I’ve seen them nesting within light poles and on top of light fixtures, tucked behind storefront signs, within roof gutters, any place imaginable. They’re very creative that way.

One last comment before I close. House sparrows are quite attractive. Note the male’s black bib, which gets more predominant with age. (Photo by John J. Mosseso; offered for Public Domain use.) Also notice how the gray of his cheeks and shoulders contrast beautifully with his reddish-brown and black striped back. As typical, the female (also shown here in a Public Domain image provided through U.S Fish & Wildlife Service) is considerably less showy, but pretty nonetheless.

Till next time . . . Keep birds in your heart!

Georgia Anne Butler

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My SO, Marit, who you know from FB tipped me about your blog.

Bookmarked and linked :-)

P.K. Butler said...

Hi Tim! Thanks for posting. As you see, I am not myself a photographer but am making arrangements to learn. Right now I use Public Domain images. Glad for your interest and thank Marit for me!