Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Choir of Chickadees and a Red-breasted Nuthatch


On Sunday, I spent a little time at a local state park, Black Moshannon. There, I walked the Star Mill Trail bordering the lake. Greeting me at the trailhead was a large flock of Canada Geese, enjoying the lake under a sunny, blue sky. I don’t know about you, but seeing their white tail ends stick out of the water while they dabble below the surface always makes me smile.

I began my short hike (full loop is 2 miles) hoping to catch sight of other waterfowl. And did accidentally flush two separate groups of ducks, though I couldn’t identify either. When attempting to identify ducks taking wing from the water, I do know to note whether they fly directly up or “skitter” (a kind of skipping run) over the water surface. If the former, then most likely you’re looking at “dabblers,” but if the latter, then you’ve watching “divers.” Both groups I watched were “dabblers” but that’s all I could tell.

But enough about ducks that I couldn’t identify!

I’m writing today about the Black-capped Chickadees that took exception to my appearance beneath their trees. (Watch the video below.) They descended through the tree branches to investigate me, calling out in alarm as a chorus: chickadee-dee-dee, chickadee-dee-dee-dee, chickadee-dee-dee. Of course, I loved the attention and wasn’t about to budge—which paid off. Because after the hysterics of the chickadees passed and all returned to calm, I caught sight of a Red-breasted Nuthatch clinging to the trunk of a white pine. (Photo courtesy of Charles H. Warren.) What a pleasant surprise! A beautiful day made more beautiful still in the company of so many wondrous birds.



Till next time . . . Keep birds in your heart!

Georgia Anne Butler

No comments: