Friday, August 7, 2009

A Happy Goldfinch


Just yesterday I was lucky enough to share a bit of time with one extremely exuberant American Goldfinch. To my eyes, this bright yellow little finch seemed to be having a grand time. I sat outside on a lounge chair listening to his cheery song from the white birch tree by my bird feeder. Periodically, he would fly from the tree to the feeder for a black-oil sunflower seed and then back again into the branches. (Photo shown here is courtesy of Charles H. Warren.)

(Nearing the end of last year--December 12, 2008--I wrote how the male and female American Goldfinch look very much alike during the non-breeding season. Check out that post to see a picture of a wintering male goldfinch. Not only does he loose his bright yellow plumage but also that jaunty black cap.)

Then, as if unable to contain his joy, this little bird flew from the tree and began circling the sky (in laps), singing the entire time. The goldfinch has a distinctive flight pattern, best described in the profile provided by All About Birds:

"Goldfinches fly with a bouncy, undulating pattern and often call in flight, drawing attention to themselves."

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/American_Goldfinch/id

With my handy hand-held video, I tried to capture his circuit above me, but of course he was too fast. You can hear him singing in this video. And though you can't see the bird, at least you can see the path he took.



Aren't birds too wonderful for words?

Till next time . . . happy birding!

Georgia Anne

No comments: