Monday, May 11, 2009

Baltimore Oriole Comes to Dine


This year, for the first time, I put out a feeder for the Baltimore Oriole, a brightly-colored member of the blackbird family (Icteridae). For many years, I’ve been feeding seed-eating birds and, of course, hummingbirds but never the Baltimore Oriole. So I thought it was about time to start.

As you can see by the photo (courtesy of John J. Mosesso), the male oriole is orange and black, while the female and young are yellow and olive-brown. An insect-eating bird, the oriole also enjoys fresh, juicy oranges. For just a few dollars, you can purchase an oriole feeder, which consists of a round plastic base (size of a plate) and a steel skewer. Cut an orange in half, pierce it with the skewer that screws into the base, and hang if from somewhere high. If orioles are in your neighborhood, you’ll quickly find one at this feeder.

A few days ago, for the first time, I hung an oriole feeder outside. The very next day a bright and beautiful oriole became my dinner guest. I don’t know how many orioles are enjoying the daily entrĂ©e of a fresh orange half, but by day’s end, it’s an empty rind. I don’t mind meeting the demand since I get to eat the other half. And that has to be a good thing—to eat an orange every morning!

Till next time . . . happy birding!

Georgia Anne

No comments: