Friday, March 13, 2009

Tundra Swans


This morning my pond is playing host to a pair of quiet Mallards and noisy Canada Geese. Robins are in the yard, and all the “regulars” of winter are bustling with activity. But my focus today will be on a small flock of Tundra Swans, about two dozen, which I saw a few days ago in a local reservoir.

Checking my birding log when I got home, I saw my entry from last year for these beautiful white swans with black bills. Apparently, this spot of water is a scheduled “rest stop” for some migrating flocks heading from their coastal wintering grounds toward the tundra of North America to breed.

Distinguishing between the Tundra Swan and the Trumpeter, which is also all white with a black bill and face, can be quite tricky (see why at Cornell Lab’s web site All About Birds); however, given that Pennsylvania is not typical to the Trumpeter’s range, I’m confident that the swans I saw were Tundra.

Go to All About Birds to compare the range maps and physical descriptions of these two species of swans. Then use a search engine to obtain more information, photos, and even videos of these and countless other birds!

Spring is an exciting time to become a birder. Birds of all kinds are migrating toward their breeding grounds, some stopping to stay right here in central Pennsylvania with others dropping down for a brief visit (like the Tundra Swan).

And don’t forget to track the Ruby-throated Hummingbirds that are on the way! Checking the range map this morning (http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html), I see that these hummers are to the northern tip of Georgia! Get those feeders ready. The hummingbirds will be arriving sooner than you know.

Till next time . . . happy birding!

Georgia Anne

No comments: