Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Red-tailed Hawk





Yesterday I took a trip into State College, PA, and when taking an exit ramp off of Rt. 322, I saw a hawk perched atop a telephone pole. At a glance, I suspected it was a Buteo because it was large and chunky. (The genus Buteo includes, among others, the Red-shouldered, Broad-winged, and Rough-legged Hawk.)

However, hawk identification is no easy matter, especially given there is such wide variation in plumage among the species in the genus Buteo. Add the fact that these hawks must grow into their adult plumage (youngsters have different markings) AND that some species are polymorphic, meaning members can be lighter or darker in plumage—and you begin to understand the challenge of hawk identification.

For me, the easiest way to identify a Red-tailed Hawk is to see one soaring in the sky on a sunny day. When looking from below, you’ll see the sun illuminate the brick red of the hawk’s fanned tail. The other sure-fire method is to hear its call. And yesterday I was lucky enough to do just that! When I stopped my car just long enough to get another look at the hawk (with binoculars), it flew up and away. “Missed that opportunity,” I though, pulling away. But then I heard it. The Red-tail’s unmistakable call.

Every hawk has its own signature sound, the Red-tail’s call is sometimes call “raspy,” but there’s no way to truly characterize it with words. You have to hear it. Cornell Lab of Ornithology’s web site All About Birds provides an audio file for each bird. Check out the site and listen to the Red-tail’s stirring call. You’ll know it next time you hear it for sure! (Both photos are courtesy of U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.)

Until next time . . . happy birding!

Georgia Anne

No comments: